Originally the firm was founded in the City of London by Mr George Gray and Mr G.M. Barrow in 1864. Eventually Mr Samuel Barrow, Mr Samuel H. Lane and Mr G.H. Ballard were assumed partners in 1887 and Barrow, Lane & Ballard Ltd. was established.
Extract From Illustrated London -
Published by the London Printing & Engraving Co in 1893.
“This enterprising firm have developed an immense business, and must be reckoned among the leading concerns in the trade. They supply vast quantities of dried fruits and nuts of every variety to all the principal distributing houses throughout the United Kingdom, America, and the Continent.
The four principals take an active part in the administration of the business, which owes its prosperity and high standing to their united energies and sound commercial judgement. Personally, the partners are well known and highly esteemed in the City and provinces, and are regarded as four of the most capable and enterprising exponents of the great trade in which they are engaged. They stand high in the confidence of a most extensive and influential London and provincial connection, and have always adhered to the policy of making their customers' interests identical with their own”.